Langham House

Langham House

Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday May 9, 2011

I've waited for almost a month for the electrician to finish his job. After awhile, I had almost given up. Tonight he says they will try to finish this week. I'm grateful. Very grateful. I'd like to start seeing some sheetrock and paint go up. I'm read to see progress again.

Jess has been working on painting - he's not feeling well - so the work is slow. I'm not complaining. Once again, I'm grateful.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sunday

Yesterday we picked up a new/old table for the dining room - took it to Earl Wilcox to strip and restain it for us. It is a tiger oak round pedlestal base.

Yesterday we got 3 doors painted - the house is over 90% painted - we have danish and rails left to do.

Electricians start back on Monday - I'm told by next Sunday we should have electricity. Here's hoping.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Darlene with Beaumont Heritage Society came by to see Langham House and the "new found" jib window that had been covered with ply-wood. She complimented us on the work that had been done and the progress. Thanks for coming by Darlene! We enjoyed the visit.

April 20, 2011

Attention City of Beaumont:

Question - considering the age of this house - do we still according to the "rules" have to install a ventilation blower in the bathroom? That will mean cutting into 100+ year old wood that we weren't going to molest and using it as the ceiling. My house is old and doesn't have any. Need to know something, as you know Mr. Bennett pulled the permit yesterday, and if it doesn't have to be cut into I prefer not to have one in there. It's not a rent house. It's historical and should fall under a different structure I would think.

Thanks for your help Steve - as always - I appreciate you. (May not agree with you, but I appreciate you! LOL)

Sent VIA email.

The city has come out with some new rules that I hate to see apply to Langham House. I REALLY hate seeing it apply. I will conform if I have to - but I really do not want to cut up that wood in the ceiling of the bathroom!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tuesday April 12, 2011

Darrell and me will continue painting tomorrow - and once we get her painted - depending on funds - we will see about an electrical contractor. I'm not happy with the City of Beaumont - and if I could I would pack this ol' house up on a barge - and take it up to East Texas. I'm just really fed up.

On the bright side - the house is looking real good. I will continue to paint it and at least make the outside look good. As for the inside, I have no idea how long that will take me.

Hopefully there'll be a funding angel come along - or someone who would be willing to come and do the electrical for us as a gift/donation.

Until that time - we will finish the painting and get the outside looking good -

Sunday, April 10, 2011


We started painting today - it'll be tedious work - but in the end - I believe it will be well worth it. I'm loving the colors we're putting on her. I'll try to download a picture tomorrow.

I've started taking picture of folks who stop by to see the old house. I plan to use them in a collage of pictures in the back of the book These Two Old Houses (yes I know that is suppose to be underlined, but haven't figure out the computer yet). Trying to get as many "visitors'" pictures as possible. Rumor has it WL Pate and Gethrel Williams-Wright with the City Council are coming out next week.

We removed the old blue tarp that was up there - WHAT A JOKE! Not a shingle amiss! Yes it does look strange 2 different colors - but for now - that's the way it'll have to be until more funds come in.

We located the man, Wes, who tore down the Polk House here in Beaumont. He has a lot of the materials that we need to replace or repair.

We also removed the enclosed area where there was a closet and a bathroom and reverted the porch back to being a porch. It sure opened it up and made a difference.

Speaking of opening things up. As you walked up the make-shift steps - to the front door - there was a boarded up area on the left. I woke up Saturday morning and asked Jess for us to open it up and let's see what was behind the wood.

OH MY! I had the most awesome surprise of a hidden treasure! Another jib window that just needed 3 panes replaced had been boarded up! I was SO excited!! The window now offers wonderful natural lighting into what will be "the parlor".

Today I chose colors for the parlor and kitchen while we were at Home Depot. (Oh and I hear the paint department and a few others from Home Depot are going to come out and have their picture made with "this ol' house"! )

We are slowly but suredly moving along. Thanks for coming on the journey with us.

Sunday, April 3, 2011


The guys finally cut a hole so I could get up in the attic - if you will recall there were reports from the previous owner and Shaw Engineering that there were roof leaks. From the pictures I hope you can see my view - the decking appears to basically be new. No rotten rafters - no holes - no dampness from previous rains - no water holding any spots - NO roof problems as was reported.