We were shocked to find the reason the porch was so rickety was because the previous owner had cut the beams out from under it to put in a washer, dryer and water heater and instead of reinforcing those areas - chose to leave them under the strain of the weight.
We've ordered the proper porch decking. We are going to reinforce the porches with 3/4" marine grade plywood and come back over that with 1 x 4" tongue and groove flooring (treated of course) to give the place a more "original" look.
We still have to discern the boards for the ceiling part of the porches. I'll be taking a picture and sending it to Parker Lumber in Port Arthur who has been AWESOME at assisting me!
We also made another decision today. Someone had originally enclosed part of the porch to make a bathroom and closet. We are opening that back up. I'll need to find windows to fit the opening where a window used to be.
We once again crawled through the attic part of the house and found no leaks. None. But we will probably put the same colored roofing over the entire house instead of the multi-color that it is now.
New facia boards are replacing the rotten ones. Once all of the rotten is replaced, we will start pressure washing and painting the outside.
I firmly believe we'd have been much farther along had it not been for the movers and for the rainy weather we have had.
I'm grateful for sunshine and my guys today - and the work that they've gotten done.