Langham House

Langham House

Sunday, January 2, 2011

I am going to attempt to keep a running journal of the refurbishment of an old house - The Langham House. The Langham family was a very prominent family in the City of Beaumont during it's early years. There is a connection to that house and the one I am living in and to the John J. French family. Steve Walker and I will be working together on a book - These Two Old Houses. We will try to chronologically put together the families, the life styles, and the journey to bringing these two old houses back to life. I hope you will enjoy taking this adventure with us...

October. I learned that a house was either going to be torn down or moved so that FEMA could come in and build the woman a new house. I was distraught thinking such a thing could happen to a historical house built in 1898. I was even more livid that she was having a FEMA house built on our tax dollars for someone who seems capable of working. I felt this was another "milking of the government"

December 7, They moved the house from where it was to a lot across the street. "Who's in charge of this?" I asked. A meek but beautiful woman, named Darlene said "I am" I asked, "How long are we going to have to look at this from my kitchen window?" "Until we find a buyer." "How much do you want for it?" "SOLD"

When I walked back home with Darlene in tow - the guys were shocked to learn - "just that quick" she bought that house!

December - Met with Steve Richardson, Boyd Meir, Carolyn Howard (Beaumont Main Street), Jim Broussard, Darlene and another lady from the Historical Society at City Hall. I have to come up with a "plan", furnish the city with a $5,000 bond to "certify that you will do the building correctly", find a "certified hurricane engineer" who will assist and tell me where to put the new "footings" and "hurricane straps" once the house is moved. (Excuse me, but this house has gone through HOW MANY hurricanes and not been hurt?) I also have to bond my construction company to be able to do the work within the City! Bawhahaha. You can't even work on your own properties without being "bonded". I see a lot of unnecessary red tape going on here. But, I shall play their game.

Because the City had to do an "economical study" to see if the house was with in "value" to move 2 blocks from where it was - this delayed the move. It is raining cats and dogs right now - so the move will not take place - the property has to be very dry - it's soft dirt over there and if we try to move it prior to the land being dry - it could damage the house or my property.

December 29, I email Steve Richardson the plans I have for the house. He emails back wanting to know what color I am going to paint it - I email back BRIGHT PURPLE with black trim. He emails back "It's too early in the morning. I had to pound my chest to get it started again." I figure there has to be humor in this adventure somewhere.

December 29, I phoned Darlene to tell her that the Beaumont Convention & Visitor's Center in downtown Beaumont had no idea who Carolyn Howard was nor what Beaumont Main Street was all about. We both chuckled in disbelief!

December 30, Steve Walker, an old friend, church member and ex-classmate of Brazoswood High School - Clute, TX - came and took lots of wonderful pictures. We are going to corroborate on a book "These Two Old Houses" - which will include my old house. Langham House has already been designated as a Historical Land Mark.

January 1 - Several friends have said on FaceBook they would like to come help refurbish the old place. I suppose I will post weekends that we are doing - what - and hopefully - they weren't just whistling Dixie and will come and help. I think that will make the refurbishment and bringing The Old Langham House back to life even more special!
January 2, 2011 - Went to Home Depot "paint looking". I have decided on the paint for all the outside of the house as well as all of the rooms inside except the bathroom. I'm stuck on it - just indecisive right now.

At least knowing the colors I can now start making quilts for the bedrooms - and drapes for all the rooms. I can begin working on those things even prior to getting the place moved.

I received the first piece of furniture from a friend today for the house. She had found a headboard and footboard about 10 years ago for a 3/4 bed. Those were popular in "the day". I will use it in the small bedroom off the bathroom. The size is perfect for a quilt I have already made and wanted to use in that room. I love getting "old things" to use in the house(s) from friends. That makes them a part of the refurbishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment